Webbelec Napit Registered Electricians Providing Domestic & Commercial: Electrical Inspections, Electrical Installations, Electrical Testing, Network Cabling,Fault Finding
Home Services Products Napit Gallery Contact Us

Why choose a NAPIT member?

It is important that you get, work done by competent people working for businesses who are committed to quality, safety and customer care. NAPIT certificated scheme members have demonstrated their competence, they hold the necessary insurances and have the right processes and procedures to assure compliance.

NAPIT registered installers are:

 Able to complete work safely and to legally required standards

 Regularly assessed to ensure their ongoing competence

 Capable of working to the very latest health and safety regulations

 Able to provide you with the necessary certificates to demonstrate the regulatory compliance of the work they do. These certificates may be requested by tenants, insurance providers and solicitors and may be needed if you are looking to let or come to sell your property.


NAPIT is one of the leading Government authorised and United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) accredited membership scheme operators in the building services and fabric sector. There are currently more than 10,000 NAPIT registered installers in the electrical, heating, plumbing, ventilation & air-conditioning, microgeneration and building fabric trades across the UK domestic, commercial and industrial markets.

For consumers this means access to installers who have demonstrated their competence and undertaken to comply with the requirements of particular schemes with regard to quality, safety and compliance.

Responsibility for compliant and safe work lies with the installer; NAPIT's role is to monitor each scheme member and audit that they are fulfilling this responsibility. Installers do not carry out work on behalf, or under the control, of NAPIT and the extent to which inspections and audits are carried out is determined by the various scheme owner organisations.

Authorisation, Accreditation, Registration and Certification

A confusing number of terms are used across the various schemes that consumers come across.

Scheme members are usually both registered (i.e. on a register of approved installers such as that provided via the search facility on this website and those on the various scheme websites) and certificated (i.e. in receipt of a certificate approving them within the scope of a particular scheme). The search facility is a means of verifying the status of certification of a Scheme Member.

NAPIT Registration is authorised by the government to operate Competent Person Schemes in support of self certification against the Building Regulations in England and Wales. The current scope of NAPIT's Competent Person Scheme authorisation can be reviewed at the Government website.

NAPIT Certification is accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) to certificate installers across a wide range of schemes. A current schedule of NAPIT’s accreditation is available at the UKAS website.


Not all work carried out by installers is covered by regulatory requirements. This section aims to give a sufficient overview to understand which work is regulated.

The Building Regulations in England and Wales require that certain types of work are notified as compliant either via Building Control or by self-certification by a Competent Person. NAPIT registered scheme members in the areas of electrical, heating, plumbing, ventilation & air-conditioning, microgeneration and building fabric trades are able to certificate their own work, saving consumers the time and money that would otherwise be involved in using Building Control.

Building work throughout the UK is often subject to Planning Regulations and understanding whether planning permission is required, is the building owner’s responsibility. Some of the work areas that NAPIT are involved in are subject to what is called Permitted Development, which allows specific work to go ahead without planning permission provided certain requirements are satisfied. This is particularly true of microgeneration work and useful guidance is available on the MCS website for this.

Electrical work is covered by the Building Regulations in England and Wales, and throughout the UK it is also covered by what are titled the IET Wiring Regulations (BS 7671). Compliance with the Wiring Regulations is the accepted way to satisfy electrical safety legislation. While Building Regulations Part P (electrical safety) is the most commonly referenced regulation it is important to note that electrical work must comply with all relevant parts of the Building Regulations such that NAPIT is not simply a “Part P Scheme” and NAPIT registered electrical contractors are not merely “Part P Approved” despite this being common terminology in the industry. Approved Document P itself states:

Other parts of the Building Regulations contain requirements that affect electrical installations. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

a) Part A (Structure): depth of chases in walls, and size of holes and notches in floor and roof joists

b) Part B (Fire safety): fire safety of certain electrical installations; provision of fire alarm and fire detection systems; fire resistance of service penetrations through floors, walls and ceilings

c) Part C (Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture): resistance of service penetrations to rainwater and contaminants such as radon

d) Part E (Resistance to the passage of sound): soundproofing of service penetrations

e) Part F (Ventilation): dwelling ventilation rates

f) Part L (Conservation of fuel and power): energy efficient lighting

g) Part M (Access to and use of buildings): height of socket-outlets and switches

What Certificates (etc) to Expect if using a NAPIT Certificated Installer

Electrical Installation Work (all regions)

A BS7671 certificate should be provided to you directly by the installer after the work is completed. It will be entitled either Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or Minor Works (MW) depending on the nature of the work.

Electrical Installation Work (England and Wales)

In addition to the EIC/MW above, if the work is required to be notified under the Building Regulations you should receive a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate (BRCC). This should have been notified to NAPIT by the installer and posted to you within 30 days of your work being completed.